Monday, February 25, 2008

Seasoned Chicken and peas

Tonight I made Seasoned Chicken with frozen peas. I bought a bag of frozen peas a few weeks ago and we'd only used half of it. We wanted to use the other half before it got too late, so I added those at the last minute. This chicken came from my 4 Ingredient Cookbook.

Overall, I'm not really impressed with this recipe. The chicken was moist on the outside, but the very center of the chicken was too dry for my taste. Also, the whole recipe calls for a marinade of butter, oregano, and garlic powder (Yes, for once I made a recipe that called for garlic powder and not garlic). I'm picky about food being 'just right', and this recipe just didn't cut it.

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 T. oregano
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 stick margarine, melted

Place chicken breasts in a baggie and add the oregano, garlic, and margarine. Marinate in refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish. Bake covered at 325 for 1 hour.

Notes:
  • I set this up this morning right before we left for work. I set up the marinade about 7:30 a.m. and when we got home at 5:00 p.m. the melted margarine had re-solidified, so there wasn't a lot of marinating happening. I'm not sure if there's a specific 'time limit' on butter/margarine or if it's because our fridge is so cold or what. That may have played a role in the chicken being a little dry in the center since it didn't really marinate.
  • Next time I might add olive oil to the marinade. That will infuse a little flavor to the chicken and might make the center moist.
  • This baked just fine in my Corningware. I have a small obsession with Corningware and I love being able to use it.
  • Marinating in a plastic bag is still one of the best ways to marinate. No extra bowls or spoons to mess with. Just bag it up, give it a little shake, and your work is done. Ahhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::