Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Zesty Roast Chicken and Potatoes

I was super excited to try this recipe tonight. I've been looking for a roast chicken recipe for a while, particularly something quick that I can whip up on short notice with ingredients that are already on hand. This one is perfect! It has about ten minutes of prep work and is done in about 35 minutes. A working woman can't ask for much more.

Again, no pictures. [:'(] Sorry! I just didn't have time tonight. Perhaps when I do some baking next week I'll remember to have the camera ready.

This is from our Betty Crocker cookbook. I didn't like the recipe as it was, so I adjusted it some. See my notes at the bottom for my adjustments and thoughts on this recipe.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 3/4 lbs)
1 lb small red potatoes, cut into fourths
1/3 cup mayonaise or salad dressing
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350*. Spray 15 x 10 x 1 in. pan with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken and potatoes in pan. In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients except chives; brush over chicken and potatoes.
3. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and juice of chicken us clear when center of thickest part is cut. Sprinkle with chives.

Notes:
  • I didn't quite understand what they meant by 'mayo OR salad dressing'. They didn't specify a type of salad dressing. I'd assume they meant something creamy and similar to mayo, but I just went with the mayo.
  • Speaking of mayo, next time I might try Miracle Whip since it has a bit of a tang to it and might make the chicken a little spicier.
  • We didn't have any Dijon mustard on hand, so I used Kraft Sun-Dried Tomato salad dressing, and that seemed to work fine. I thought that the pieces of tomato in the dressing added a nice color to the meal.
  • Also, Dijon mustard has a little more bite than the dressing I used. I like spicy and zippy, but Graham doesn't. If you don't like spice or zip, or the person you're cooking for can't stand it, a dressing with less bite is a good option.
  • I've found that it can be difficult to purchase truly fresh garlic in this area of the city. The larger grocery store in our neighborhood won't carry it, and another store has sketchy looking produce. 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder = 1 clove of garlic. I did a few sprinkles and it worked. Again, Graham doesn't like flavors that overpower a meal, so crushed garlic would have turned him off.
  • I added the chives at the end, but they weren't necessary. They're a nice touch, though. Next time, I might add them a few minutes before I take it out of the oven and see if that does anything for it.
  • I'm also going to sprinkle some salt onto the chicken before I add the dressing next time. Chicken always tastes better if it's been salted (at least it does to me).
  • We didn't make another vegetable to serve with this; we did salads instead. However, steamed broccoli or asparagus would be lovely with this meal.
All in all, it was a fun dinner to make. This is definitely a meal to keep on hand for a last minute addition to the dinner table, or for a night when I've got too much to do since I can just pop it into the oven and wait for my timer to 'ding!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::