Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nut-Crusted Pork Medallions

I was so, so excited to try out this recipe. I've had my eye on it since we brought the Betty Crocker cookbook home. I love combinations of different ingredients, and growing up "in the North" we never spent much time exploring foods beyond Chicago pizza, Chicago beef, Chicago hotdogs, and if you met my mother, Italian everything.

This is hailed as a "traditional Southern meal" but I think it's the combining of traditional ingredients more than a traditional meal. However, I still thought this was sooo good after it was finished. I made enough for four servings, and I swear I had two servings on my own!

I tweaked the recipe a bit to fit our situation. If you would like the actual recipe, contact me and I'll email it to you!

Nut-Crusted Pork Medallions
3/4 lb to 1 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into one-inch slices.
1 large egg
1/4 cup honey
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 T. vegetable oil

In a large bowl, mix egg and honey. Stir well. Add pork slices and toss to coat.

In a large Ziploc bag, mix together pecans, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Close bag and shake till thoroughly mixed. Add pork slices; seal bag and shake to coat.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook pork slices in oil for 6-10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on the outside.

Notes:
  • Recipes like this make me wish I owned a food processor. Chopping the nuts would have been so much easier with it! I chopped the pecans by hand, and found it was easier if I sliced them longways first, and then chopped them into smaller pieces. Next time, I'll most likely toast them separately and add them to the meal at the last minute. The nuts weren't "crusting" the medallions, if that makes sense.
  • Speaking of the medallions, these were more like 'half-moons'. I sent Graham to the store to buy groceries, and since he hates all kinds of shopping so much, he grabbed the first thing that said 'Pork Tenderloin' and bolted. The thing is, it was a 2 lb. tenderloin! I let it thaw as much as I felt was safe and then cut it in two long pieces, then I put the piece we weren't using back into the freezer. Since the half tenderloin was cut, the medallions were more "c" shaped than anything else. Oh well. :-) ::shrug::
  • If you're not a fan of clove honey, try another honey, a favorite marinade, or just some butter. The honey gives this a nice rich flavor, but there are other alternatives if you're not a fan.
  • Turn these in the pan only once, since the cornmeal breading will resist being pulled off the pan.
  • We served this with corn and rice, but I think it would work well with any number of vegetable dishes. Next time I might make some sweet tea (if I ever figure out what that is!) and something minty for dessert. I'd of course, follow up with a viewing of "Gone With The Wind", mainly because it's the only southern movie I own and could relate to this meal. That, and I'm a loser. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::