Thursday, March 6, 2008

Onion Baked Pork Chops

I had a ridiculously long day at work today. I didn't get home until after 5:00 p.m. So not normal for me I had planned on making this meal a few days ago, but I hadn't really thought about it being easy or difficult until I got home and began dreading dinner--if it was too difficult to prepare, we wouldn't be eating until the middle of American Idol. Not cool.

Thankfully, this was easy to prepare. We ate much later than usual, but we still ate before 7 p.m. and we were done with dishes before then, too.

Overall, we liked this, though there are a few changes I'll make next time. I served this with steamed broccoli and white rice. I've never steamed a vegetable before, and it was easier than I thought! I was afraid they'd turn out too mushy or not cooked enough, but they were great for a first try. They weren't as seasoned as I would have liked, but like I said--first try.

Onion Baked Pork Chops

6 pork chops
1 pckg. Lipton onion soup mix
2 eggs, well beaten
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine soup mix and bread crumbs. Dip chops in egg and then in bread crumb/onion mixture, coating well. Place in a shallow pan and drizzle well with butter. Bake 1 hour, turning once. Makes six servings.

Notes:
  • While these weren't as moist as I would have liked, they were still really delicious. The onion and breadcrumbs combo made for a nice breading.
  • We used two pork chops (naturally), so I adjusted the ingredients accordingly--one egg, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, etc.
  • I did use the whole half stick of butter, though.
  • I added a few pieces of garlic; I've found that when they're baking with a dish that they'll add a little more flavor.
  • I also added a little olive oil to the pan before I stuck it all in the oven. I think it infused a little more flavor.
  • This worked well with our sides--steamed broccoli and white rice. I think just about any side would work well with it, though.
  • The one thing I would change next time: I would saute some onions and add them right before serving. I love the flavor of real onions, and I think they'd really add a nice touch to what was a good, hearty meal.
  • I spied this recipe in my favorite church cookbook, and seeing how simple it was, I couldn't very well say no, could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::