Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pork-Apple-Onion bake

I had this once at a church potluck and really liked it. I was much younger, though, so I wasn't sure if I'd still feel the same way about it. My mom tried it once after I fell in love with it, and it did NOT go well. She never uses brown sugar, so she used regular sugar thinking it would be no big deal. The pork turned out super sticky and had a really bizarre taste to it. She also used regular apples (red delicious, perhaps?) thinking that there'd be no difference, but the apples mushed and melted. We ate sticky pork and not-quite-applesauce that night, and it was by far the worst meal my mom made since she was a newlywed.

Overall, this wasn't as stunning to me as it was when I was 11 or 12, but not a complete wash. I'll make it again and change a lot about it. I'm thinking that the recipe that was passed on to me isn't the exact recipe served for family and potlucks. This one is perfect for experimenting with, though. It's pretty bland, so there's lots of room for improvement!

Pork-Apple-Onion Bake

6 thinly sliced pork chops
3 medium Macintosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 medium onions, sliced thin
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. water (or more if needed)
2-3 T. margarine/butter, softened
salt and pepper to taste

Grease a baking dish and layr down half the onions, followed by a layer of half the apples, and 1 T. brown sugar sprinkled over the top. Drizzle water over the brown sugar. Lay pork chops on top of apples and season with salt and pepper. Top with a layer of onions and a layer of apples and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Dot the top with margerine. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Notes:
  • I used six thinly sliced pork chops, but you could easily do thicker pork chops and just extend the cooking time a little.
  • I'm probably going to work on a glaze of some sort for the apples. They weren't impressive...just a little "eh".
  • I felt the pork chops came out too dry. They weren't tough, just dry. I'm thinking of adding the butter earlier next time or maybe some chicken stock or olive oil or something. It definitely wasn't as moist as I would like.
  • I might add some cinnimon to the apples, too. I think that would really punch up the taste.
  • This goes well with nearly everything: rice, potatoes, and steamed vegetables. You pretty much just have to open your cabinet and pick!

1 comment:

  1. If you like this recipe you might like a dish I make with pork, apples, onions, and cabbage. I think it's an emeral recipe from foodnetwork.com, I could find it for you if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::