Sunday, April 6, 2008

Beef Burgundy

I originally found this recipe in my trusty church cookbook. I was attracted to the recipe for a few reasons: it was tagged as "Easy Beef Burgundy" and I think we all know I'll jump over something that's easy and tastes divine. Also, we had pretty much every ingredient on hand, and who doesn't love a meal that doesn't require a special trip to the grocery store?



However, while Graham loved it, I was a little frustrated with it. It had a 1950s quality about it and while it's the perfect addition to your Stepford Wives viewing and 50s theme night, it satisfied but didn't seem like it was as good as it could have been.

I made this before I started blogging about food, so my changes and notes are scribbled on a post-it and stuck to the recipe's page in the cookbook. I've adjusted this recipe and still think it's "easy"--a few ingredients and then pop it into the oven for a few hours! If anyone wants the original recipe, just let me know. However, I liked this so much and I think it tastes better than the original!

Easy Beef Burgundy:

1-2lbs. beef stew meat (whichever you prefer)
1 cup burgundy wine
1 can undiluted cream of mushroom soup
1 can undiluted cream of onion soup OR one can cream of chicken soup
2 T. basil (or basil to taste)
1 medium onion

Mix soups together, add stew meat and coat.
Pour half cup wine into mix and stir to blend
Quarter the onion and separate the layers; add to mix
Add 1 T. basil, sprinkling on top of mix.
Bake covered at 350* for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Approx. 30 minutes before finished, add remaining wine and basil and return to oven.

Notes:
  • Another funny "husband at the grocery store" story: Graham hates shopping, especially grocery shopping. Oftentimes he'll run in and grab the first thing that looks like what he needs (see Nut-Crusted Pork Medallions for an example). The first time I wanted to try this, he called me and said he couldn't find the Burgundy wine--where was it hiding? I said to just pick up any bottle of dry red wine. About ten minutes later he calls again--how does he know which are the dry red wines? I said, "Never mind. Just pick up a bottle of Pinot Noir." He found that and came home, but not without saying that he will never again venture into the wine aisle of the grocery store. He was so tired of looking for wine that he grabbed the first bottle of Pinot Noir he could find and high-tailed it out of the aisle. It wasn't till he was checking out that he realized that he bought a $30 bottle of wine! Thankfully, it was reaaaaally delicious (I did some taste-testing), but clearly $30 wine is not part of our monthly grocery budget.
  • We didn't have cream of onion soup the other day--just cream of mushroom and cream of chicken. I think adding the cream of chicken gave the sauce a nice flavor and lovely golden color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::