Monday, April 28, 2008

Jade & Ruby Stir Fry

This recipe had interested me since I first opened my church cookbook oh-so-many years ago. I'm a sucker for a good stir fry, and this one had such a catchy name that I had to break down and test it out. It's not my favorite stir fry, but there are two things I love about a good stir fry: 1.) They're super fast to make! 2.) There are endless possibilities.

The original recipe is below, and I added some tweaks in my notes below.

1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast OR 1 lb. beef, sliced into thin strips
1 lb. fresh broccoli
1 onion, chunked
2 red bell peppers, chunked
2 carrots, julienned
2 T. water
1/4 lb. pea pods
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, quartered
1/3 c. Kikkoman stir fry sauce
2 T. vegetable oil

Cut the chicken into one inch square pieces. Cut broccoli florets into bite size pieces and cut the stalks into thin slices. Heat oil in hot wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir fry chicken until browned. Add broccoli, onion, and carrots; stir fry 1 minute. Add water, then cover and cook two minutes, stirring once. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, and pea pods; stir fry two minutes. Add stir fry sauce and cook, stirring constantly until chicken and vegetables are coated with sauce.

Notes:
  • We didn't want chicken. We had plenty of chicken over the weekend and we decided that we wanted some good ole fashioned beef. About a month ago, I bought some stir fry beef at the grocery store. I had trouble finding it the last time I made a stir fry, so I figured I'd better get some now so I wouldn't have to improvise later! The stir fry beef worked great--it browned a little faster than I expected, but it worked out just fine.
  • No mushrooms. I did, however, add green bell pepper in their place, and that added a nice, fresh color to the stir fry.
  • I chopped the carrots into bite sized pieces. I didn't want to go to the grocery store to get the bag of thinly sliced carrots, and the bite size pieces worked just fine.
  • The grocery store was all out of regular pea pods, but the snow peas I used worked great! I think I actually prefer those to regular pea pods.
  • I also didn't have stir fry sauce. Instead, I just used 3/4 c. soy sauce. I think it blended well with the vegetable oil and the veggies.
  • Next time I'm adding the broccoli and onions toward the end; I always forget how quickly they can break down in the pan.
  • I'm considering buying bamboo shoots and water chestnuts to add to this stir fry next time. I think those would pair well with this dish.
Overall this was a hit. I'm definitely going to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::