Sunday, April 6, 2008

Onion Baked Pork Chops, round 2

The first time I made this, I was pleased by the ease with which this meal was prepped and ready to go. I also loved the way it smelled while baking in the oven. However, the pork chops weren't as tender as I would have liked--really dry in the middle and without much flavor. I was a little disappointed, but I wasn't going to let this one fall into the "duds" pile just yet.

I tweaked it some, and I like it a lot now! Graham even mentioned that the chops were much more tender than last time. I dabbed a little olive oil on the chops after they'd been breaded, but I also mixed the olive oil with the melted butter before I drizzled it on the chops. I almost couldn't believe the difference! Soo good. The original recipe is elsewhere in my blog--below is mine. :-)


Onion Baked Pork Chops
4 pork chops
1 pckg. Lipton onion soup mix
2 eggs, well beaten
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 to 2/3 stick butter, melted
2 T. olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine soup mix and bread crumbs. Dip chops in egg and then in bread crumb/onion mixture, coating well. Place in a shallow pan. Mix melted butter and olive oil in a small bowl and drizzle onto pork chops. Bake covered 1 hour, turning once. Makes four servings.

Notes:
  • The original recipe omits the olive oil and doesn't mention covering the prok chops while they're in the oven. I think that a lot of the moisture evaporated in the oven last time. I was determined not to have dry pork chops again. Covering the porkchops and adding the olive oil really infused some flavor into the pork chops--they were fantastic!
  • I sauted up an onion and threw it in with the pork right before serving. Really yummy!
  • I also added a clove of garlic to the dish before I threw it in the oven. It makes for a nice blending of flavors as the garlic breaks down and mixes with the butter.
  • I should also mention that I added a bit of salt and pepper to the pork chops before dipping them in the egg. It was just a bit of flavoring before adding the breading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::