Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Smothered Steak

This was a recipe I'd been dying to try. I fell in love with Smothered Steak back in college when I could eat fatty foods and not worry about looking fat in a swimming suit or wedding dress. Thankfully my wedding dress days are over, but my metabolism is still not where I'd like it to be--and definitely not to where I can eat anything I want! However, I'll always fall victim to food no matter what, even if it is swimsuit season.

If you're not familiar with it, a smothered steak is basically a steak or pieces of steak drowned to death in a thicker sauce and usually garnished with chives, onions, or mushrooms. I like thicker sauces even though they are the fattening, stop-your-heart kinds of sauce. I chose this recipe becaise we had all the ingredients in stock and it seemed like it would be a fun and fast recipe to try. It came from a 4 Ingredient Cookbook we've got lying around, and I added and changed some things around just to have a little fun. The original recipe is below and my notes and changes are at the bottom.

Smothered Steak

1 large round steak
1 10 oz. can Golden Mushroom Soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2/3 cup milk

Cut steak into serving size pieces and place in a well-greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a sauce pan, mix soup, dry soup mix, and milk. Heat just enough to be able to mix well. Pour over steak. Seal pan with foil. Bake at 325* for one hour.

Notes:
  • We didn't have anymore Golden Mushroom soup, so I substituted Cream of Garlic Mushroom and it worked really well! I liked the garlicky taste of the soup and it gave the sauce a nice color.
  • I heated the soup first and mixed the milk and dry mix in another bowl, then blended them and heated them to a simmer. I didn't want to risk the soup mix not disolving completely and ending up with dry bits of soup.
  • I also chopped up an onion and added it to the dish. It baked well with the meat and added a nice texture to the meal.
  • Finally, I added some basil about 15 minutes before I pulled the dish from the oven. I'm in love with basil this month--I'm adding it to everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::