Here's the original recipe, along with my thoughts and adjustments.
Zesty Roast Chicken & Red Potatoes
(Adapted from Betty Crocker)
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 3/4 lbs)
1 lb small red potatoes, cut into fourths
1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350*. Spray 15 x 10 x 1 in. pan with cooking spray. 2. Place chicken and potatoes in pan. In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients except chives; brush over chicken and potatoes. 3. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and juice of chicken us clear when center of thickest part is cut. Sprinkle with chives.
- Last time, I used salad dressing AND mayo since I didn't have the Dijon mustard. This time, I used mayo and Dijon mustard since we didn't have a dressing that would have worked well with this. I used the Hellman's brand since it's not as spicy as some other Dijon mustards.
- I didn't have any fresh garlic, but I just did what I did last time I made this: 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder = 1 clove of garlic. I actually did three 1/4s and you couldn't really taste the difference.
- I might add some salt to the dressing next time. I said this last time and forgot to do it today. The chicken was tender, but I just felt like it was lacking something.
- I steamed some broccoli and it complimented this meal. It also gave the dish some nice color and was better than just a salad.
- We didn't have any red potatoes, and while I love them, I wasn't about to run to the store to get some. I used regular old Russet potatoes and cut them into 1/8s. I prefer the red, but these worked great. I will, however, sprinkle some salt on the potatoes before sticking them in the oven; I felt they were a little too dry but a little salt was made them perfect for the munching.
- I also coated the pan with some olive oil before I put the chicken in. I decided to try it without Pam this time.