Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cheesecake Brownies

**I made these brownies a while ago but never updated my blog.**

For St. Patrick's Day, I was looking for a simple recipe for a dessert that I could take to my in-laws' for their St. Patrick's Day celebration. It needed to be a dessert I was capable of, as well as something that could be easily executed in our small kitchen. I'm not too crafty a baker, so it needed to be something that my basic skills could handle without too much effort. I found this recipe in my church cookbook, and I have to admit that even I was surprised by how easy it was. Next time, I'll probably try it with a homemade brownie recipe, but this works--definitely in a pinch!

Cheesecake Brownies

1 pkg. fudge brownie mix
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Prepare brownie mix as directed on the package. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
Beat cream cheese; add sugar and continue beating until well-blended. Mix egg and vanilla into the cream cheese mixture. Pour over brownie batter and cut through with a knife for a marbled effect. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes until cream cheese is lightly browned.

Notes:
  • I had to cook this about 50 minutes; even though the cream cheese was ready to go, the brownies were still not baked through. It didn't really affect the taste of the brownies, but the brownies on the edge of the pan were slightly crispy.
  • I also used an 8 x 8 pan for this, so that may have had something to do with it. Our larger pan was storing leftovers at the time, and I wasn't about to clean it out to make brownies in it.
  • I didn't get the marble effect I wanted, but I also feel that I used too much cream cheese frosting. Next time I'll try to be a little more frugal with the cream cheese and see how that goes.

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::