Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chicken Piccata

I've been looking for Chicken Piccata recipes for some time. While this wasn't my favorite, it fit the bill for the time being--no cream sauce, all the ingredients in my pantry, and relatively simple. This was good, but I didn't love it like I wanted to. I changed it up a little to make it closer to what I wanted. It's not quite, but it'll get there! This recipe was recommended to me by a gal on the What's Cooking message board. It's originally from AllRecipes.com. I was reading some reviews, and I think next time I'll try out some of the variations I read.

Chicken Piccata II

2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 egg
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/4 c. butter
2 tsp. chicken bouillon powder
1/2 cup boiling water

1. In a small bowl, beat the egg together with 1 T. lemon juice and set aside.
2. In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, garlic powder, and paprika. Dip the chicken in the egg/lemon mixture, then in the seasoned flour.
3. In a large skillet melt butter and brown the coated chicken.
4. Dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water, then add the remaining 2 T. lemon juice. Pour liquid into skillet.
5. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, turning once. Garnish as desired and serve.

Notes:
  • I didn't use water and bouillon--I used chicken stock instead. Bouillon is too salty for me and I thought the chicken stock would add a nice medley of flavor to the sauce.
  • Some of the reviews I read suggested putting the chicken back in the fridge for an hour or two after it was floured because that would help the breading stick to the chicken. I had a little trouble turning the chicken--the breading kept sticking to my non-stick skillet! I might try that next time.
  • I added some dry white wine to the chicken stock. That really helped to infuse some flavor into the chicken! I could definitely taste it after the chicken came off the stove.
  • I'll probably use a little more lemon juice next time. I couldn't taste it like I wanted to.
  • I also used 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and paprika. I love both flavors and didn't want to skimp on the seasoning.
  • I poured a few tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet as I melted down my butter. I find it impossible to make Italian anything without using olive oil.
  • It was also missing capers. I can never find capers in my local grocery store. However, it's not Chicken Piccata if it doesn't have capers! Perhaps I'll dedicate a blog to my capers story someday. :-)
This was an okay dinner. Graham liked it, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I definitely need to play around with it some more. Thankfully, Chicken Piccata is one of those old standards that has been played with and tested a number of times, so there's no end to my experimentation!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I finally figured out how to leave a comment here! Anyway, I have a Chicken Picatta recipe that I make all the time - so often that I don't have a recipe that I follow, I just wing it. If you'd like, I can try to look it up (the actual recipe is at my parent's house), and I can email it to you.

    BTW - I check your website almost daily for new dishes to make. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if my last comment posted or not. Anyway, you can find capers nest to the pickles in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if my last comment will post or not - but, I have a Chicken Piccata recipe that we love! The only thing is, it's not an actual recipe - it's all in my head. I can look for the actual recipe at my parent's house if you'd like me to get it. Also, capers can be found near the pickles/relishes at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::