Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fried Onion & Ranch Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes

A few months ago, Graham requested meatloaf for dinner. I was willing to oblige, but I wasn't entirely thrilled because I don't like meatloaf all that much. It was probably the one meal my mom made most often when I was growing up and it's safe to say I'm "meatloafed out". Last night Graham asked me to do something with the ground beef in the freezer, and I flipped through some cookbooks for inspiration, as well as some of my favorite WC blogs, and one of two things happened to me: 1.) Nothing sounded good, or 2.) We didn't have all the ingredients and I didn't feel like making a special trip to the store.

It was starting to look like spaghetti and meatballs (again) until I started researching meatloaf recipes. When I started researching, I noticed that most meatloaf recipes call for bland ingredients or are "Italian style", which means lots of oregano and stewed or diced tomatoes. I was starting to give up and suggest ordering Chinese instead, but I came across this recipe on allrecipes.com and it had mostly positive reviews. There was one negative review, but it was wacky and weird, so I ignored it. :-)

I liked this, and Graham liked it too. I didn't fall in love, mainly because I still have serious meatloaf issues, but it's safe to say we're in serious like. The original recipe calls for 6 servings; I adjusted it for 4. I also tweaked it a bit--used bread crumbs instead of a bread stuffing mix. You can find the original recipe here.

Fried Onion & Ranch Meatloaf

1 egg, beaten
1lb ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 T. Italian seasoning
2 & 1/2 T. Ketchup
1 envelope dry Ranch-style dressing mix
6 to 8 oz. French-fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat egg. Combine with beef, Ranch seasoning, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, ketchup, and fried onions.

Shape into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9 x. 5 inch pan.

Bake, covered loosely with foil, for 50-60 minutes, or until meatloaf is cooked through.

Notes:
  • This was really delicious. It smelled great while baking, and the Ranch seasoning really enhances the flavor.
  • You can also substitute tomato sauce for ketchup; I didn't because I'm so used to meatloaf drenched in tomato sauce--see above.
  • I was working on my mashed potatoes at the time and the meatloaf was pretty much done before dinner was ready to be served. I lowered the heat on my oven to 250 and just left the meatloaf keep in there and stay warm.
  • You can use Italian style bread crumbs and omit the Italian seasoning.
  • I think adding a brown gravy before serving would help keep the meatloaf moist if this is too dry for you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds really good. I am starring it in my reader for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely making this recipe sometime soon! Cold meatloaf sandwiches are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::