Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dinner Reading

Now that my school year is (almost) over, I'm looking forward to some summer reading. I've got a nice pile of books to reading, but I'm also looking for something that's entertaining, light-hearted, and informative. We subscribe to Newsweek, and Graham gets a Time Magazine subscription via his boss. He also gets something scientific....Scientific American, National Geographic....something like that. (Gosh, we sound so well-read!)

I decided that I wanted a magazine subscription to call my own--one that I could read and learn something from. I posted on my cooking forum for suggestions and WOW! I got tons of replies! I'm really thankful for the input--I didn't really know where to begin or which magazines were worth it.

So far, I've sent in requests for trial issues of Cooking Light, Cook's Illustrated, Martha Stewart Everyday Food, and Martha Stewart Living. All issues are supposed to arrive in 4-8 weeks. I'm really looking forward to opening the mailbox this summer!

I'm also going to go to the store to pick up issues of Bon Appetit & Everyday With Rachael Ray. While I'm not a huge fan of her show, I've heard lots of good things about her magazine. I'm also not a huge fan of her recipes, but I love to play around with them and make them my own. I can also admire her 30 Minute Meal ideas--she's thrown away the pat excuse, "Well, I don't have time to cook." I hate that excuse, and she's turned it on it's side and said, "Wait! Actually, you do!"

I think--I hope--that these will be helpful resources for me in the coming months. I enjoy reading and research, and I think that these will be perfect to take with me on our summer trip. I'm also looking forward to being able to rip out recipes and then recycle the rest of the magazine. I can't do that with cookbooks, and I always feel bad just throwing away a book.

I'm also open for any book/magazine suggestions for summer! Let me know if you've got anything to share, and I'll keep you posted on my magazine suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::