Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pot Roast w/Crash Hot Potatoes

One of my new favorite blogs is The Pioneer Woman. I love her writing style and her stories about her kids crack me up. She doesn't update as much as I would like, but her recipes look oh-so-good.

Last week, I saw her recipe for Crash Hot Potatoes. They are an Australian original and the recipe was sent to her by a loyal reader. She raved, and Graham and I love potatoes, so I really didn't think I could lose! I needed something to serve them with, so I decided to make her pot roast and serve the potatoes as a side.

Tonight's dinner was sooooooooooooooo ::deep breath:: soooooooooooooooooooooo good! Damn-I'm-good good. OMG-there's-none-left? good. In a word: delicious. How do I know it was good? Graham's first words upon putting the pot roast in his mouth, "Wow, this is really good." The standards I set for myself are pretty high, and I was impressed with this pot roast.

This one is a keeper. I'm definitely impressed with it and satisfied. This would pair well with any other kind of comfort food--mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon...basically anything warm and toasty. I did my best to recreate TPW's recipe. She doesn't blog recipes--she gives step-by-step instructions with pictures, which is great, but I work best with a print recipe in front of me. The pot roast is first, followed by the potatoes, as well as my notes.

Pot Roast

2lb. pot roast
3 T. olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1-2 onions
6-8 carrots
2-3 c. beef stock, divided
3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 springs fresh thyme
3 pats butter (optional)
1 c. red wine (optional)

Preheat the oven to 275.

Heat olive oil (and butter, if you choose) in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Next, salt and pepper the meat generously, particularly if you use a larger roast. Thoroughly wash the carrots and slice them in two-inch pieces. Peeling them is not necessary.

Slice the onion(s) in two from root to tip, slice off the ends, and remove the outer layer. When the oil in the pot is very hot, place the onions in and brown them on one side for 1-2 minutes. Flip the onions and brown them for 1-2 minutes. When the onions are done, remove them to a plate. Add the carrots to the hot oil and brown them for 1-2 minutes. Remove the carrots to a plate.

If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil to the pot. Get the oil warm before adding the roast.

Make sure the roast is seasoned on both sides with plenty of salt and pepper. Sear the roast on one side for one minute, then flip it and sear it on the other side. If you like, hold it up using tongs and sear it for one minute on the sides. When it is browned, remove it to a plate.

Turn the burner on high and add a one cup beef broth or red wine. Use a whisk to deglaze the pan (scrape up all the delicious brown bits at the bottom of the pan). Return the roast to the pan and add another cup or two beef broth--enough to cover the roast halfway. Add the onions and carrots. Add another cup or half cup of beef broth if necessary. Add the rosemary and thyme. Submerge them in the liquid beneath or on the side of the roast.

Put the roast in the oven, covered, for 2 hours. Don't peek!

To serve, place the meat on a cutting board and slice off a piece or pull it apart with a fork. If it's done right, it will fall apart on the fork.

Crash Hot Potatoes

Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
New or Red or Baby Red Potatoes
Any herb

Preheat the oven to 450. Bring salted water to a boil. Add your potatoes and cook till fork tender (approx. 20 minutes). Generously drizzle a cookie/baking sheet with olive oil.

Place potatoes on the cookie sheet, spacing them well. Using a potato masher, press down on the potatoes until it slightly mashes. Rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and finish mashing the potatoes.

Generously brush or drizzle the top of each potato with olive oil. Salt and pepper the potatoes generously. Finely chop your chosen herb and sprinkle on top of the potatoes.

Place them on the top rack of the oven. Cook them for 20-25 minutes or until they are "golden and crispy and sizzling."

Notes:
  • I went a little masher happy with the potatoes. I didn't wait for them to cool a little after placing them on my cookie sheet and one of them went flying and met the wall. Hilarious!
  • The potatoes were so easy and SO good. Next time I think I'll use Baby Reds so I can make a few more. Any small and round potato will work.
  • I used chives for my "herb of choice". MMmm...tasty!
  • As far as the pot roast....estimate about an hour per pound once it's in the oven. That's one of those random kitchen facts I learned from my mom.
  • My love affair with kosher salt continues--it adheres well to the meat and salts well without being overly salty.
  • Be sure to generously salt the roast--it's a lot of meat!
  • I didn't have any red wine in the kitchen (sad), but I had a 1/3 cup white wine that we weren't finishing anytime soon. I used that to deglaze my pot and it worked fine. You couldn't taste the wine, but as an acid I think it helped tenderize the roast.
  • The meat was so, so tender. I truly advise just leaving it once you put it in the oven. I'm an oven peeker, so it's hard for me to say this. BUT, not letting out all the heat and keeping the moisture in the pot made all the difference. Once it's in, set your timer and leave it alone.
  • I used some baby carrots that were sitting in the fridge and threatening to spoil. I just threw in a few handfuls. Eyeball it--if you don't like carrots, don't use so many!
  • Also, my fresh herbs are...getting there. Right now, they're still babies. So I used dried rosemary and thyme. Again, I eyeballed it. I think it was probably around a tablespoon each.

1 comment:

  1. I've created a link to your pot roast recipe in our newest "Cast Iron Around the Web" entry at http://www.cookingincastiron.com

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::