Monday, June 2, 2008

Super Chocolate Cookies

For my birthday, my mother-in-law gave me The Cookie Bible, an extensive cookie/brownie cookbook with over 150 different recipes. I'm really excited to really crack it open and get familiar with the recipes.


Since I got my Cookie Bible, I've been promising Graham that I would get familiar with it and bake a batch of cookies. He's been oh so subtly hinting that I should make a batch of cookies with comments like, "Dang...all out of Oreos!" and "Hmm...I'm hungry. I wish I had something cookie-shaped to munch on..." and my favorite, "When are you going to make some cookies?" To celebrate my last week of school and his last month of school, I decided to make an inaugeral batch of cookies from my new Bible.

I think they turned out well. Next time I'll make a few changes. They're not necessarily my favorite, but there are definitely a few things I like about these cookies. Since there's so much involved in this recipe, I think it's easy to play around with and add and subtract as you see fit.

Super Chocolate Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup candy coated chocolate pieces
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.

Beat brown sugar, butter, and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at a low speed until blended.

Stir in candy pieces, raisins, and peanuts.

Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly with fingertips or spatula. Bake cookies 13 to 15 minutes or until almost set. Cool two minutes on cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 20 4-inch cookies.

Notes:

  • I liked these cookies, and I think the combination of any two of the three chunky ingredients (raisins, peanuts, M&Ms) would be great in these cookies; I'm not entirely sure how I feel about all three incredients together.

  • Mine didn't turn out flat like the cookies in the picture, even though I flattened them. I like the way they turned out though--large and puffy.

  • These cookies were so chewy and soft! I couldn't believe it. I love soft cookies, so that's a definite plus for these cookies.

  • I used the stick of butter and a 1/2 cup of margerine--I glanced at the recipe before dashing to the store and saw "shortening" and missed ''butter". I think next time I'll omit one of the two, or try it with Crisco and make them the way they're supposed to be made.

I'll definitely be making these again, but probably not anytime soon--I've got to try out more cookies from my Bible!

2 comments:

  1. The recipe looks great (although I would omit the raisins since I'm not a fan of them in cookies). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I agree, I don't think I would add peanuts, raisins and chocoalte chips at the same time! I do think they sound wonderful! I too, love soft cookies. You could try adding different chocolates at the same time (Milk, semi sweet and white) or chopped andes mints (with a little mint extract in place of vanilla). I bet PB chips and chocolate chips would be a great combo.
    I have found rolling the balls of dough in sugar before baking creates a nice sweet 'crust' on soft cookies and provides a nice contrast between the exterior and soft interior.
    Either way, these sound like a winner, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::