Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Beef Tenderloin Bites

This is a Rachael Ray recipe I first made a few months ago. Graham really liked it and asked for it again, and soon.

Well, soon came and went and I still never made it. However, I finally got myself a broiler pan and was anxious to use it. Funny story: I got the beef coated and ready to go on the pan, and the pan is too big for the broiler! It has extra-wide handles and it won't fit properly into the broiler. I had to put it in long ways and there was a teeny gap when I closed the broiler. However, they cooked up much nicer than when I used my grill pan last time. They were much crispier and way more flavorful than my previous attempt. I made some changes and altered the recipe to fit our tastes, so it's a little bit Rachael, a little bit me.




Beef Tenderloin Bites

1 & 1/2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
3 T. dried parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 or 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 T. garlic powder
4 tenderloin steaks, 1 inch thick, cut into bite-sized pieces
Fresh spinach
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper

Preheat the broiler. Mix the bread crumbs with parsley, garlic powder, and cheese. Warm the olive oil and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes to infuse the oil with flavor. Pour the oil and garlic into the bread-crumb mixture and combine with a spatula to distribute equally and moisten the bread crumbs. Drizzle a little lemon juice over the mixture and mix well.

Season the meat with salt and pepper, then toss the meat in the bread-crumb mixture to coat evenly. Spread the meat on a baking sheet or broiler pan and place under the broiler until the coating is crisp and the meat is tender-about 6 to 7 minutes.

While the meat is under the broiler, dress the spinach with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat well. Serve the beef on the bed of spinach. Serves 4.

Notes:
  • I changed out arugula for spinach. We always seem to have spinach, and we prefer the taste to arugula.
  • I like drizzling some lemon juice on the meat before it goes into the broiler. It really lives up the flavor and adds a nice flavor to the meal.
  • The breading came out really crispy and flavorful. However, you can easily do these in your grill pan or adjust the recipe so you can bake them.
  • Last time I skipped the cheese, but adding the parm really added a nice flavor to the whole meal. It didn't melt, it crusted. It really added a nice texture to the beef. However, if you're afraid of cheese, go ahead and leave it out.
  • We actually used half-inch steaks, and there was still plenty. I've halved this both times I've made it and there's still plenty of leftovers. I'd quarter the recipe, but then I'm afraid there might not be enough for us.

2 comments:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::