Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bruschetta Chicken

I long for the days when Graham and I have a home with a yard and a grill. We'll be able to make dinner without heating up the kitchen and needing to use the fan above the stove. While those days are still in the future, we're enjoying our grill pan and grilling "out" whenever we want.

I adapted this recipe from a Kraft recipe. The marinade really works on the chicken, and it practically falls apart on your plate.

Sorry for the darkness! I discovered the macro setting on the camera and didn't account for the exposure. Someday I'll have some better photos! Oh, and see that green stuff? Yeah, that's from my basil plant. I love that I have fresh herbs. I feel just like Giada! ::pulls shirt down a little for cleavage "Giada on camera" effect::




Bruschetta Chicken

3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 T. oregano
1 T. rosemary
1 T. basil
1 T. garlic powder
salt
pepper
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tomato, diced
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
fresh basil for garnish

For marinade: Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a plastic bag, mix together olive oil, vinegar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and rosemary. Add chicken, turning bag to coat. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Heat grill to medium-high. Grill chicken for 6 minutes, basting with marinade with occassionally. Mix together tomato, mozzarella, and basil.

Flip chicken and grill till cooked through, basting with marinade occassionally. Top with tomato mixture right after removing from grill.

Notes:
  • The original recipe calls for Sun-Dried Tomato Vinegarette dressing in the marinade. You can use that, but making your own marinade is also really simple and allows you a little more control.
  • On colder nights I broil or bake the chicken in the oven. It comes out just the same and you can walk away while it bakes instead of "hovering" over the grill. (I'm terrified of home fires.)
  • This tastes great with roasted or grilled vegetables! I sometimes serve this over pasta and a light marinara sauce, but I didn't feel like that tonight, so we ate it with rice and a salad.
  • The fresh basil really made the difference! I'm so glad that my basil plants are getting tall enough to use the leaves.
  • When it comes to the marinating, longer = better. If you have the time to marinate all day or for longer than an hour, do it. It'll really pay off with this in the long run.
I'm also submitting this recipe for my friend Joelen's Tasty Tools Blogging Event for July! I'm excited, as it's my first blogging event. I'm actually submitting it for two events, the Tasty Tools event and her Balsamic event; Joelen can use it for whichever she likes. Check out her blog for the roundup of both events. She always has awesome recipes on her blog--some hers, and some from other bloggers and events. It's always a good read. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love that you're killing 2 birds with one store... and a tasty stone to boot! Thanks so much for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I"ve used that Kraft recipe! Yours looks awesome! And I love basil too ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! It has pretty much all of my hubby's favorite ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::