Monday, July 7, 2008

Empanada dough

A few months ago I decided I wanted to make empanadas. But, as with so many other things, I never got around to it. A few months ago I found a recipe I loved but couldn't find the "frozen empanada disks" suggested anywhere! I eventually decided that if I wanted an empanada I'd have to make it all from scratch.


Today I made my very first empanada dough using a recipe from Epicurious.com. I was a little nervous taking on this project, but it was a lot easier than I thought! The worst part was wrapping it in clingwrap to pop it on the fridge. I think next time I'll keep it on the cutting board and cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge--it might keep its shape a little better.


Look! More photos! I'm finally joining the 21st century! The recipe is below.



























Empanada Dough

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg
1/3 cup ice water
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Sift flour with salt into a large bowl and blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.

Beat together egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork until just incorporated. (Mixture will look shaggy.)

Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface and gather together, then knead gently with heel of your hand once or twice, just enough to bring dough together. Form dough into a flat rectangle and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour.

Cooks' note:Dough can be chilled up to 6 hours.

Notes:

  • This took me about 45 minutes to make, but it probably wouldn't have taken so long if I hadn't been so methodical. I was really scared of screwing it up so I kept checking the recipe to be sure I was doing it right.
  • Mixing the flour and salt with the utter was easier and faster than I thought, though it was also a little messy.
  • I had some trouble forming the dough into a rectangle. As you can see, it's more of an oval than a rectangle.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this is helpful as I'm doing an empanada cooking class next month- thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::