Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grilled Corn Salad

If you watch Food Network done with any sort of regularity, you've seen commercials for one of two shows starring The Neelys. Pat and Gina Neely run a barbeque restaurant in Tennessee and have a cooking show and a restaurant review show on Food Network.

Normally, I'm not a fan. I can only stand to watch one or two segments of either show before I have to turn it off. Their shows are filled with too many cutesy phrases (i.e. "spice fairy") and not enough instruction, in my opinion. However, a few weeks ago I saw them prepare a grilled corn salad on the show and I knew I had to make it. It looked too good and too simple not to try!

This turned out really well. Graham asked for it again, and it's so easy to make and transport to a picnic.





Grilled Corn Salad

6 ears fresh corn, husked with silks removed
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt
Pepper
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely chopped
2 cups packed arugula

Lemon Dressing:
1 lemon, juiced
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Neelys Barbeque Seasoning (recipe follows)


Preheat grill or broiler to medium heat.

Rub corn with 2 tablespoons of canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil corn for 7 minutes or until ears are lightly browned. Remove from grill and allow to cool.

Remove the kernels form the cob and place in a large mixing bowl along with the cherry tomatoes, red pepper, scallions, and arugula.

In a small bowl, prepare dressing by whisking together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and Neelys Barbeque Seasoning, to taste.

Toss the salad with the dressing. Serve at room temperature.

Neelys BBQ Seasoning: 1 1/2 cups paprika, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder.
Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Notes:
  • We used spinach instead of arugula. I loved the way it worked with the salad! It was so delicious when it all blended together.
  • I made a small sampling of the lemon dressing and didn't like it. I served the salad plain it was fine as is. I actually liked it better than with the dressing.
  • We got to use some of OUR tomatoes in this salad, and YUM. I love fresh tomatoes. It felt so good to use food from our "garden".
  • Next time I might chop up a red onion and add that to the mix. I like red onions and I think it would mix well with the other flavors.

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful salad! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use corn... and having it grilled sounds awesome for an additional smoky flavor :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::