Monday, July 21, 2008

Island Cookies

In honor of finally booking our trip to Hawaii this week, I decided to bake something that would excite us for the trip. I found the recipe in my Cookie Bible. What I like about these cookies is that they are "islandy" without being typical of most Hawaiian or island fare found at your local potluck. I'm still trying to figure out how marshmallows = island.

These cookies are really good! They're chewy and soft and chocolatey--my favorite kind of cookie! They've also got coconut flakes! I've been in love with coconut flakes since my first Girl Scout Samoa so many years ago. Mmmm! It's not necessary to toast the coconut, but I chose to because I wanted to learn a new skill, and toasting the coconut also enhances the flavor of the coconut.



Island Cookies
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups (11.5 oz package) Nestle Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsels
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted, if desired
1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg.
Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels, coconut, and nuts. Drop by slightly rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for two minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Notes:
  • Carefully read the instructions before you begin. I accidentally added an extra 1/2 tsp. baking soda to the flour mix because I wasn't paying attention. Hehe....oops!
  • To toast the coconut, spread the flakes on a baking sheet in one layer. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Pop the coconut into the oven for approx. 10 minutes, or until edges of coconut flakes are lightly browned.

2 comments:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::