Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lemon-Garlic Chicken Thighs & Crash Hot Potatoes

A good friend of mine, Laura, has spent the last year as a music minister with Carpenter's Tools International, a Christian ministry organization. Ministers give up a year of their lives to travel the United States, as well as overseas, playing Christian music and spreading the message of the Gospel. I've been following her blog and I saw her group/team perform in the Chicago area in November. However, when you're apart from a friend for a long time, a few hours and a blog isn't nearly enough!

A few weeks ago, Laura emailed me to tell me she was in town for two weeks and asked if we could set up a time and date to meet for coffee. I knew that Laura had been living off fast food for the better part of a year, so I thought that inviting her over for real food would be nicer than meeting somewhere for a sandwich and a latte (though I do love a good latte). Laura was all over that idea!

The last time I cooked for company (see May 2007) I made pork chops that I'd never made before. They turned out okay, but prep took incredibly too long. For Laura's visit, I decided to make a meal that I was already familiar with. Graham loved the chicken the first time I made it and was already requesting it for June. I decided to serve the Crash Hot Potatoes from The Pioneer Woman's blog as a side because they're quick and delicious and crunchy. The only downside was that I don't have enough room in my oven to do both. Oh, and it was hot as hell. But....totally worth it.

See my notes for the few thoughts I have and changes I made.

Lemon-Garlic Chicken Thighs

8 chicken thighs with bones & skin, about 3 1/2 lbs.
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. olive oil
3 c. thinly sliced onions
30 cloves (approx. 2 heads) garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 lb. angel hair pasta
3 T. chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
3 T. unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken thighs with 1 1/4 tsp. salt and the pepper.

Place the flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge the chicken in flour and set aside.

In a large, wide saute pan with 2 to 3-inch sides, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add the chicken and brown well on both sides, about six minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Add the onions to the oil and cook, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the chicken until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, remaining salt, and bay leaf. Cook 1 minute.

Add lemon juice, chicken broth, and browned chicken thighs to the pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer.

Once mixture has reached a simmer, cover tightly. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 15 minutes more, or until cooked through and tender.

While the chicken is baking, boil water for the pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well and toss in a large bowl with the parsley and butter.To serve, place a portion of the pasta in the center of the plate. Arrange chicken thighs around the pasta and drizzle with lemon-garlic cooking liquid over the pasta. Garnish with additional parsley and serve.

Notes:
  • I omitted the bay leaf as we were out. I also skipped the pasta and substituted Crash Hot Potatoes.
  • For the potatoes, I used Baby Reds instead of full-sized reds. The cooking process was a little faster and they were a little easier to mash.
  • We used crushed red pepper flakes and they're not too strong, but it's about the spiciest my husband will go. They work well if you're spice-o-phobic.

1 comment:

  1. What a great meal! I specifically bought potatoes earlier today so I could make these popular Hot Crashed Potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::