Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mini Chip Snowball Cookies

Every summer, Graham's family gets together in the suburbs for a family reunion. I've attended always as a guest of his family--never on my/our own. Everyone is asked to bring a dessert to share and/or a salad or appetizer. Since I need to bulk up my baking repertoire, I decided to bring a dessert this year. I let Graham pick from my Cookie Bible, and he picked Mini Chip Snowball cookies. I have to admit I was a little nervous to try them--I've never made cookies that weren't "cookie shaped" before. However, they turned out great! They're nice and crumbly, and the hazelnuts and chocolate chips taste great in the cookies.



One little guy hanging out...

And my badass cooking rack! I love this thing. Three tiers of cooled off cookie goodness!


Mini Chip Snowball Cookies

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups (12 oz. package) mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375* F.

Beat butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour; stir in morsels and nuts.

Shape level tablespoons of dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Sift powdered sugar over hot cookies on baking sheets. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks and cool completely. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired. Store in airtight containers. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.


Notes:

  • This batter was heavy! It was so thick I couldn't believe it. If you're using a hand mixer, give yourself a little more time to mix everything together.
  • I used hazelnuts because I had some in the "pantry" (a few crates we've stacked together to act as a pantry until we have a place with more kitchen storage). I think walnuts would work well, too. The hazelnuts toasted up nice and crispy and they add a lovely flavor.
  • I didn't have mini-morsels, just regular sized morsels. They worked great, and I didn't have to use as many.
  • A few weeks ago I bought myself a sifter for occasions such as this: sure, you can buy sifted flour, but I'd have made a huge mess in my kitchen trying to get an even amount of flour on each snowball.
  • These aren't soft cookies--they're crispy and crumbly. I'll have to adjust the recipe some because I prefer softer cookies. But, really? They're fine. I'm just weird.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bookmarking this recipe for the holidays - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::