Friday, July 11, 2008

Review: Bon Appetit Magazine


Bon Appetit is a big gun when it comes to gourmet recipes and hot restaurants. It has its finger on the pulse of what's new and exciting when it comes to food, and it typically publishes 4-star recipes. For many of my foodie friends, it's their monthly bible.


While I found the restaurant reviews helpful and the recipes certainly look delicious, I found the whole attitude of the magazine to be somewhat snobby. I could never shake that feeling that I was reading a magazine that is solely for those who cook for the art of cooking, not necessarily for the everyday, at home chef (such as myself...and I use the term 'chef' loosely).


I appreciated the pages dedicated to kitchen designs and specialty kitchens. I dream of building a home of my own one day, and seeing viking kitchens like the ones showcased in the magazine definitely gave me some ideas for my dream one-of-a-kind kitchen. Ah...someday.


I'm looking for a magazine with tips and tricks and new tools to help me out everyday. I appreciate gourmet recipes and I'm sure they taste delicious, but many of the recipes in the issue (I felt) were beyond my skills in the kitchen. Perhaps I'll feel differently someday but for the time being I feel it's not worth paying for a subscription when I'll read it but not use it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the "snobbiness" of Bon Appetit, which is why I don't read or subscribe to it. I would deifnitely recommend Cook's Illustrated because it is geared towards the home chef - including the common ingredients used, standard cooking equipment/gadgets and the recipes never have failed me. If you're into culture and food, one of my fave subscritions is Saveur. Gorgeous photography, insightful articles of food and a focus on culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED!!!!
    See my blog for the rules!

    Stephanie (Beebe)

    http://stephskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::