Thursday, July 24, 2008

Soul Food: Green Beans

Green beans were never served for dinner when I was growing up. My dad rarely eats vegetables that aren't corn or potatoes, and my sister takes after him. I don't think my mom likes green beans, either. But for me, there's just something about them. I love the way they snap when you bite into a perfectly cooked green bean.....mmmmm......

Thankfully for me, Graham likes green beans. I could serve them every night if I wanted to! Oh, joy of joys!

I'd been looking for a killer green bean recipe for a while. Aside from boiling them or steaming them (my favorite way to serve veggies for dinner), I'm trying to build up my repetoire. I found a Tyler Florence recipe that I was aching to try, and since I pulled out all the stops for my pork chop dinner the other night, I decided to serve these along with my pork chops and delightful mashed potatoes with the secret ingredient.


Overall I was pleased. These came out crisp and delicious, just how I like them! I took some notes for the next time I make these, but that's down below.



Green Beans, Slow-Cooked with Bacon and Onions

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 to 6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 pounds fresh green beans
2 quarts chicken stock or water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, bacon, and onions and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Stir in the green beans and chicken stock; season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and cook the green beans until they are soft but not mushy, about 30 to 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serves 4 to 6.

Notes:
  • I cut down the amount of liquid from two quarts to two cups, and I still felt like that was too much liquid. Next time I'll cut it down to one cup with a splash or two extra if necessary.
  • This recipe is high in fat and oil, so be sure to drain off the fat or use substitutes if you're cutting back. I didn't mind the extra fat since we only eat meals like this once in a while, but I know others are more cautious about their fat/oil intake.
  • I think next time I'll add some minced garlic to this dish. I feel like I add onion and garlic to everything, but I just love the way they taste together!

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to get my husband to eat more green beans... maybe I need to add some bacon to tempt him! Looks like a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::