Friday, August 8, 2008

Shrimp Scampi with Linguine


I realized a few weeks ago that I haven't made a seafood meal since our wedding. There are a few reasons for this. 1.) Seafood isn't my forte, and 2.) Lent flew by so fast that I didn't really have time to teach myself anything. I started looking for seafood recipes to try, and it's safe to say I was a little overwhelmed. I'm not *crazy* about fish, and Graham doesn't like it very much. However, we're crazy about shrimp, so I decided that would be the best place to start.

I came across this recipe from Ina Garten and I fell in love. It had many of my favorite flavors and I thought it would be a nice introduction for me in my self-taught "Learning to Cook Seafood" class.

I liked this A LOT. Graham didn't like it at all. Le sigh. It figures, doesn't it? Anyway, next time I'll make a few changes that will hopefully satisfy us both. I tweaked this recipe some and I've got ideas for next time, so look down below for those.

Shrimp Scampi with Linguine
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

Vegetable oil
1 T. Kosher salt plus 1 1/2 tsp.
3/4 lb. linguine
3 T. unsalted butter
2 1/2 T. good olive oil
1 1/2 T. minced garlic (4 cloves)
1 lb. large shrimp (approx. 16), peeled and de-veined
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, zest grated
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
1/8 tsp. hot red pepper flakes

Drizzle some olive oil in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Add 1 T. salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.

Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily!

Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back into the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve. Serves 3.

Notes:
  • I skipped the "add oil to the pasta water" business because I've tried it before and never noticed a difference. In my mind, it's an extra step that really isn't necessary. And...oil and water? Really?
  • I reduced the butter to 1 tablespoon, and that was more than enough. Have you ever seen 3 T. butter? That's a heck of a lot of butter!
  • I forgot to pick up parsley at the grocery store. Oh well. We didn't miss it. However, I'm dreaming of the day when I'll have a garden in my yard when I can grow herbs and not have to miss the taste of fresh herbs in my meals.
  • I also omitted the 1/4 lemon half-rounds. This recipe already contains a lot of lemony flavor (which Graham didn't like). I didn't feel they were necessary.
  • Next time I'll cut the lemon juice down to 1/8 cup. I love lemon, but this was A LOT of lemon in the pasta.
  • I also used angel hair instead of linguine. I work with what I've got in the kitchen.
  • I'm not really sure where the vegetable oil comes in.....I keep looking at my recipe and I'm not seeing it. If you stick with olive oil or vegetable oil you should be okay.
  • I added way less than 1/8 red pepper flakes, and that was just the right amount of heat. But then again, we're also hot foot weanies, so if you like more heat go ahead and add more.
  • I bought a bag of smaller shrimp that were already peeled and de-veined. I just don't have the stomach to de-vein shrimp. I shudder just thinking about it. Anywho, I bought a bag of 30 small shrimp, and I liked that presentation better than the large shrimp. But really it's just a matter of preference.
  • I served this with my roasted green beans. I wanted a vegetable to round out the meal, and it was a nice addition to the table.

3 comments:

  1. My husband *loves* shrimp scampi... but I never make it often because the best I've made is so loaded with butter - lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog via Pioneer Woman. Your scampi looks lovely; Ina's recipes are great. Love your pork chop recipes, too. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOOVe shrimp scampi. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::