Friday, September 12, 2008

Chicken with Mustard Sauce



I made this a few months ago and it was a hit. I decided to tackle it again, but I made a few small changes.

Chicken with Mustard Sauce

4 boneless chicken breast halves, with skin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 cup white wine or dry vermouth
1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. water
3 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. unsalted butter (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and black pepper. Add the oil to the hot pan and swirl to evenly coat.

Lay the chicken pieces in the pan, skin side down, and cook without moving them until the skin crisps and browns, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a baking dish, skin side up, and bake covered until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Pour the wine into the hot skillet. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Boil until almost all the wine evaporates and it gets a little syrupy, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.

Mix the flour and water together to make a thin paste. Whisk paste and mustard into the broth and boil until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat. Swirl in the butter, if using, to give the sauce a little richness; season with salt and black pepper to taste.

Add any collected juices from the chicken to the sauce. Put chicken on a plate, pour the sauce on top, and serve.

Notes:
  • I always use 3 T. of Dijon mustard instead of whole grain. I dislike whole grain mustard, so I substitute a flavor I like.
  • I also use plain boneless skinless chicken breasts for this. You can substitute chicken thighs or breasts with skin, but I find that skinless is a little bit healthier.
  • I also never add the juices collected from the chicken. There's never enough, and I never notice that the pan sauce is missing something.
  • You can season this up with ANYTHING. Last night I used rosemary and sage with this meal, but it tastes soooo good with thyme as well.
  • If you use regular chicken stock instead of low sodium, you can omit salting the sauce before serving since there's more than enough sodium in there.
  • This is a rather thin sauce, but you can thicken it up by adding more flour and less chicken stock.
  • You can also sub pork chops for chicken in this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Vermouth... awesome! I have this huge bottle of vermouth from my gin party and I've been trying to find ways to use it up without being a lush :) Thanks girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::