Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chow Mein Casserole


We must've been married 4 days the first time Graham mentioned Chow Mein Casserole. He didn't stop talking about it until I called my mother-in-law and asked for the recipe and then I had to make it the week I finally got the recipe! It's easily his favorite casserole, so in honor of Comfort Foods Week, I made this.

This is actually a really quick, easy meal. It's also very filling. I always halve this recipe for us because it's a large casserole and we'd never finish it before we had to toss the leftovers. Definitely a good one for large families.

Chow Mein Casserole

2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked minute/fast cooking rice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 can chow mein noodles
French Fried onions
Salt and pepper

Salt and pepper the ground beef. Brown ground beef and onions, drain off fat.

Mix together next soups, water, rice, soy sauce, and water chestnuts. Stir in beef and chow mein noodles. Pour into a lightly greased casserole.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Sprinkle with FF onions 10 minutes before finished cooking.

Notes:
  • I halve this recipe for us. I've found Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken in one can.
  • Tonight I added 2 cloves of chopped garlic. I love garlic in my Chinese food, and while this isn't exactly honest-to-goodness Chinese, it adds a nice bit of spice to the casserole.
  • I've started adding the FF onions after I take the casserole out of the oven. They stay a little crisper, and I like this to have a little crunch once the chow mein noodles have gone soft.
  • Next time, I might substitute lo mein noodles for chow mein noodles. I don't like chow mein noodles that are too soft, and lo mein noodles can stay soft and have a lovely texture.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite dish at pot lucks, I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! My grandma used to make this all of the time! I totally forgot about it. what a comforting 'gourmet' meal! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... those crunchy chow mein noodles are one of my fave snacks. I'll need to try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this, but now I'm intrigued! I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::