Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Easy Chicken & Biscuits



For a wedding gift, a friend gave me a cookbook: Campbell's Classic Recipes. I was excited to try some of the recipes, even if all of them "require" Campbell's products. Last week it was so cold and rainy here that I was excited to make a casserole and feed on some real comfort food. Naturally, today it was bright and sunny. :-)

This was....okay. I've had worse, and for "Cream of Crap" casserole it wasn't too bad. However, this requires a decent amount of prep for it to be "easy" and fast. It was ready in about an hour and thirty minutes, which in my opinion, is too long for a casserole. If I make this again, I'll be making a number of changes. See my notes for the changes I made this time around.

1 can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Celery Soup
1 can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Potato Soup
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups cooked cut-up vegetables*
2 cups cubed cooked chicken, turkey, or ham
1 package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuts)

*Use a combination of broccoli flowerets, cauliflower flowerets, and sliced carrots, or broccoli flowerets & sliced carrots, or broccoli flowerets, sliced carrots, and peas.

In a 3-quart shallow baking dish mix soups, milk, thyme, pepper, vegetables, and chicken.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until hot.

Stir. Arrange buscuits over chicken mixture. Bake 15 minutes more or until biscuits are golden. Serves 5.

Notes:
  • I made the biscuits separately from the casserole. I didn't see the point of putting them on the mixture, especially since they were frozen. It would have taken another 20 minutes for them to cook.
  • This is only fast if you parcook everything. I didn't, so it took a lot longer.
  • I salt and peppered the chicken before cooking it and I think it made a big difference. It would have been too bland otherwise.
  • Next time, I'll add 3/4 c. milk. It was too soupy and thin for me.
  • Is it possible to find peas out of the frozen food section? I realized a few days ago that I don't think I've found peas in the grocery store NOT with the frozen foods.
  • I used 1 tsp. thyme instead of 1/4 tsp. I thought it made a big difference.
  • This was just "eh" for me. I'll admit that I enjoy Campell's soups, and while this was comforting and filling, it just didn't do it for me in the taste department.

2 comments:

  1. My mom keeps sending me this recipe and it just doesn't pull me, so I am glad it wasn't all that great to you too, then I can tell her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a comforting meal! :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::