Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fried Onion & Ranch Meatloaf



The first time I made this, I didn't love it but said this meal and I were in "serious like." I'm still not a huge fan, but this is probably the one meatloaf recipe I can eat without feeling sick afterwards. We had meatloaf all the time when I was growing up, probably once every two weeks. In college, I went out for dinner on nights when the dining hall served meatloaf. I just couldn't take it!

However, when Graham requests meatloaf, this is what I make. I don't love making it, but I like this recipe because all the flavors marry well, and it's got a nice crunch to it thanks to the onions. I also love the addition of Ranch dressing. It's not too Italian-y and adds a nice zip to the meatloaf.

Fried Onion & Ranch Meatloaf

1 egg, beaten
1lb ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 T. Italian seasoning
2 & 1/2 T. Ketchup
1 envelope dry Ranch-style dressing mix
6 to 8 oz. French-fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat egg. Combine with beef, Ranch seasoning, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, ketchup, and fried onions.

Shape into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9 x. 5 inch pan.

Bake, covered loosely with foil, for 50-60 minutes, or until meatloaf is cooked through.



Notes:


  • You can use tomato soup or tomato sauce instead of ketchup, and it'll still turn out fine, but you'll taste the tomato a little more.

  • I usually adjust the recipe and use Italian style bread crumbs.

  • I always forget to add garlic powder to this recipe. I keep thinking that this recipe is missing something, and garlic would be a great addition, but I never remember to add it.

  • I've never tried it, but I imagine you could substitute a French Onion soup packet for the ranch dressing and get a completely different meatloaf.

  • I labeled this under "quick and easy" because there's minimal prep involved and is done in usually under an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::