Sunday, September 7, 2008

Roast Chicken Legs & Mashed Potatoes


Ahh...Autumn! The sights, the smells, the tastes....'tis a wonderful time of year, 'tis! No one is happier about the return of Autumn than I am, trust me. While it's not "officially" here, it's close enough and cool enough that I can finally start eying my casserole recipes and favorite fall meals and actually make them for dinner again. Tonight I decided to kick off my fall meal marathon by roasting some chicken legs and mashing some potaters. Yum!

This is a basic roast chicken leg recipe, and the best part is that you can add whatever spices or flavoring you like. I posted mine below, but you can change it up however ya want it.

Roasted Chicken Legs

Chicken legs (I used a pack of 7)
1 T. Thyme
1 T. Basil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stick butter
1/2 cup lemon juice
Melt butter in a saucepan. When butter is melted, add lemon juice. Add seasonings, and mix well until combined. Taste mixture and adjust seasonings as needed.
Add chicken legs, one at a time, to butter mixture. Coat well and transfer to baking sheet. When all chicken legs are on the baking sheet, give them one last coating of the butter/lemon mixture with a basting/pastry brush. Sprinkle tops with seasonings.
Place in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cook until juices run clear.

Notes:
  • I placed these on my broiler pan, but you could put a cooling rack inside a cookie sheet and get the same effect.
  • Buy decent chicken! I found these chicken legs on sale at the local market, and they were too chewy and fatty. :-( Serves me right for trying to avoid the bigger stores.
  • Next time I'll probably try a few different spice combinations. I liked the thyme combined with the garlic, but these still tasted bland to me. I think I'll also let them marinate in olive oil for a few hours, too.
  • I served these with my mashed potatoes, complete with secret ingredient. It's a basic mashed potato recipe, but I add my secret ingredient in between mashing sessions. It's glorious, and Graham loves 'em!

2 comments:

  1. PW really has some great recipes! This looks like one I'll need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Australia - am going to try and use your chicken leg recipe because it sounds great. Also for decadent use of mashed potato try making a sandwich using it as a filling with some tomato sauce (ketchup to you) and eat. Calories but life is too short.

    Cheers, Angie

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::