Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Skirt Steak & Crispy Garlic Potatoes



After I started blogging our meals in February, I didn't think that my blog would be one that was read much or even glanced at by anyone except me and maybe my mom when she was bored. And now, 100 posts later....::throws confetti:: I have readers! Not many, but enough. Hell, the fact that someone besides me checks out my recipe blog is enough to make me happy.

I saw this recipe in the most recent issue of Everyday Food, and I knew as soon as I saw it that I wanted to give it a shot. While cooking the skirt steak wasn't anything truly difficult or spectacular, it was still really delicious.

Skirt Steak & Crispy Garlic Potatoes

2 garlic cloves
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3 T. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. red new potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 lbs skirt steak, cut into 4 equal pieces
2 T. red-wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 bunches watercress (12 oz.), thick ends removed

Preheat oven to 475 F. Finely chop garlic and sprinkle with salt. Using a chef's knife press flat side of blade back and forth across garlic to make a paste. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in thyme and 1 T. olive oil.

On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with garlic mixture. Bake until browned on underside, 20-25 minutes.

While potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet or grill pan over high. Season steaks with salt and pepper and cook (in two batches, if necessary) until medium-rare, 3-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Transfer to a plate to rest.

While steaks rest, make salad. In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, Dijon mustard, and remaining 2 T. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add watercress and toss to combine.

Notes:
  • These potatoes are so, so easy. I'm probably going to work them into our weekly rotation.
  • This salad is really tasty, too. Graham doesn't really do "dressed up" greens in his salad, and he liked the spicey sweetness of the dressing.
  • Aside from these two notes, there's not much else to say except "YUM."

2 comments:

  1. Yum! What a great dinner, once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check your blog frequently Angie, you give me great ideas for my meals!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::