Sunday, October 5, 2008

Apple Crisp


Graham and I went to an apple orchard yesterday, and we walked away with plenty of apples. By the time we got to the car I was dreaming of ways to use up our apples o' plenty. I decided that one way I'd use up the apples was in an apple crisp. I love making crisps and crumbles--they're wonderful ways to use up fruit, and they're so crispy and delicious so they're absolutely perfect for Autumn.

I used Stabrite (stay-bright) apples for the crisp, and I think they came out beautifully. They've got the right amout of sweetness and tartness to them, and they're perfect for baking.

Apple Crisp

4 cups sliced apples
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.

Place apples in prepared dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour water over all. In a bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Blend in flour. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.

Bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until apples are tender and crust is golden.

Notes:


  • I used half a cup of white sugar and half a cup of brown sugar based on some reviews I read, and I'm so glad I did. This came out great!

  • I sprinkled some cinnamon in with the crust topping and I'm glad. It had a really nice, crispy flavor.

  • I had to actually let mine stay in the oven about 45 minutes because it wasn't quite done. Check for doneness before you pull it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::