Sunday, October 5, 2008

Apple Muffins and Maple Glaze


I was really excited when I found this recipe last night. It sounded so great and I couldn't wait to try it. I absolutely love muffins, so being able to make a kick ass recipe was really important.

Overall, these are decent. They're not as soft as I'd like them to be, but they've still got a nice combination of spice and sweet. Also, the glaze and I didn't get along, but I'll say more about that later.

Apple Muffins & Maple Glaze

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups chopped, peeled apples
12 pecan halves

GLAZE:
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 F and grease or line a muffin pan.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, mix milk, egg, butter, and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in apples.

Fill muffin pan or liners to 3/4 full. Top each with a pecan half. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done.

Mix maple syrup and sugar and drizzle over muffins when cool.

Notes:
  • After reading some reviews, I saw that many bakers add about 1/4 c. apple cider to the muffins to make them a little more moist. I may try that next time.
  • These aren't exceptionally dry, they're just okay. I prefer my muffins a little more moist.
  • If you dislike the oats, skip them. I can tell they're in the muffins, but if they weren't there I wouldn't miss them.
  • The glaze and I didn't get along so well. I think my process was a little backwards. Next time I'll start with the maple syrup, and I'll add sugar as I go along to mix and give it the right consistency.
  • I might switch it up next time and use brown sugar instead of white, just to test them.
  • Also, the maple flavor isn't very strong at all, so if you want a more mapley taste, mix in some maple extract to punch up the taste.
  • I also nixed the pecan halves, but I didn't really miss them. If I added maple extract I'd probably top them with the nuts, but they're just fine without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::