Sunday, October 5, 2008

BU: Garlic-Lime Chicken


I flagged this recipe a few weeks ago and saved it to my Computer File of Recipes I Want to Try a few weeks ago because it looked so good and so flavorful. However, after I inspected the recipe today before I started making dinner, and I realized that frying the chicken breasts wouldn't be the best way to prepare them. Neither of us really like fried food, and it would also take too much time to fry them on the stove top.

I tweaked this recipe for our tastes, and I'm really glad I did. I think it came out so much more flavorful and moist than had I followed the instructions. The bad thing is I just kinda winged it in the kitchen, so I don't remember the precise measurements and steps I took, but I'm going to blog them to the best of my abilities. The original recipe is here.

Garlic-Lime Chicken

1 c. all-purpose flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper, plus more for seasoning
4 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 T. garlic powder.
1/2 c. lime juice

Preheat oven to 350 F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large resealable plastic bag, mix flour with garlic powder, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add chicken breasts, seal bag, and shake bag to coat. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic cloves and saute approx. 3-4 minutes. Add chicken breasts to skillet and brown on each side, 4 minutes per side. Pour lime juice into skillet and scrape up brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Remove garlic if possible.

Move skillet to oven and cover. Roast chicken for approx. 15 minutes or until cooked through. Cook uncovered for last 5 minutes.

Notes:
  • I think roasting the chicken in the olive oil and lime juice made a huge difference. While the lime juice didn't truly penetrate much further than the skin, it was still really tasty and moist.
  • Next time I'll marinate the chicken in lime juice and olive oil for a few hours before cooking it. I really want that lime flavor in my chicken.
  • I sliced the garlic, so it was a little easier to remove the garlic from the pan. Dicing it might release a little more flavor, but I don't have the patience to chase down teeny bits of garlic in a large saute pan.
  • The original recipe called for adding lemon-pepper to the chicken before serving, but I think adding a little garlic salt would be a better addition so you can balance the flavors a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::