Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes



Graham made dinner twice this week and tonight jokingly suggested that I take a picture and update my cooking blog. I decided to do that since this is a relatively simple and filling meal, and it's the same basic meal we've all had at potlucks. Graham learned that it's necessary to do your chopping and prep before cooking so you don't get too distracted and burn dinner in the process. It's a tough lesson to learn, but it's the same lesson everyone needs to learn on their own in order to become a better cook.

This isn't a complicated or fancy meal, but it's basic and filling and perfect for cold nights. This came out of the Betty Crocker cookbook that Graham received for his birthday from his brother and almost sister-in-law. It's also pretty easy for someone who's beginning in the kitchen and isn't sure how to get started.

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
(Adapted from Betty Crocker)

3 T. butter or margarine
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 c. milk
6 medium potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, thinly sliced (6 cups)
1 1/2 c. cubed fully cooked ham
1 T. butter or margarine

Heat oven to 350 F. Spray a 2 quart casserole with cooking spray.

In saucepan, melt 3 T. butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter approx. 2 minutes., stirring occasionally until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.

Mix potatoes and ham in casserole. Gently press down so surface is even. Pour sauce over potato mixture. Cut 1 T. butter into small pieces and sprinkle over potatoes.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 1 hour or 1 hour and ten minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender.

Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Sauce will thicken as it stands. Serves 6

Notes:

  • Slicing your potatoes will be easier if you have a mandolin or a lot of patience, neither of which Graham has. :-D Actually, I think his patience would have been better had he sliced the potatoes before he started cooking dinner.

  • Other than that, this meal was really fine. I wouldn't make too many changes. This might be nice with some thyme or rosemary just to color it up a bit, but it's not too complicated and that's the beauty of it.

4 comments:

  1. I have to tell you, I love this meal! I'm actually going to make it for Hubby next week.

    My grandma used to make it for breakfast, actually. She'd make this and a big bowl of scrambled eggs. For years, I thought it was only a breakfast dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, this was one of my all-time favorite dinners growing up! I loved Easter for the simple fact that it meant leftover ham...and that meant scalloped potatoes and ham.

    I usually use a ham steak that I cut myself - I find that the cubed ham you can buy at the store to be rubbery and weird.

    Damn you, I have a mad craving for this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, this is one of my ALLLLL TIMe favorite meals from my child hood. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I found you in blog land. I made it and added some curry to the sauce for colour and a sweet tang... my Mom's secret ingredient.. yum!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::