Friday, October 24, 2008

Mmmm....Pot Roast


As soon as September rolled around I started dreaming about pot roast. I used to hate pot roast when I was growing up. I couldn't stand the nights we ate pot roast. It always smelled so good but the taste was disappointing. It wasn't until I started making dinner for myself and experimenting that I really fell in love with pot roast and what it can be. There's not a ton that I can rock in the kitchen, but if there's one thing I can do well, it's pot roast. If there's another, it's mashed potatoes. But mostly it's pot roast.

I make pot roast by braising the meat over a low heat, and it comes out moist, delicious, and incredibly tender every time. Make this. Today, if possible. Or even tomorrow. It's so good. So, so good. Even better with my mashed potatoes, complete with secret ingredient.

Pot Roast

3 lb. boneless pot roast
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 onions
1 bay leaf
3 springs fresh rosemary (or a generous handful of dried)
3 springs fresh thyme (or a generous handful of dried)
Salt
Pepper
2-3 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine OR beef stock
3 T. Olive oil

Preheat oven to 275 F. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Generously season roast with salt and pepper. Chop carrots and celery into 1 inch pieces.

Chop 2 onions in half and remove tips and outer layer. Lay onions flat side down in the pot and brown for 1-2 minutes. Turn over and continue browning for 1-2 minutes. Remove to platter. Add carrots and celery to pot and brown for 2 minutes. Remove to platter.
Turn heat up to high and add the roast to the pot. Brown/sear the roast on each side, 2-3 minutes. Remove to platter.

Deglaze the pan with 1 cup red wine (or beef stock), and using a wooden spoon or whisk, scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the roast to the pot. Pour beef stock over roast (2-3 cups), enough to cover roast 1/2 to 3/4 with liquid. Add in onions, carrots, and celery. Add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to the pot and submerge in liquid if possible.

Cover, and cook at 275 F. for 3 hours. Disgard bay leaf before serving.

Notes:

  • My mom preferred to chop her potatoes and cook them with the roast, but I hated the flavor they took on during the cooking process. If that's how you like your potatoes, go for it, but I prefer my pot roast with mashed potatoes.


  • If you're averse to wine, you can leave it out. I, however, am a complete lush and will use just about any excuse to cook with wine. You can also add a splash of wine or half cup and finish off with another half cup of beef stock.


  • Speaking of beef stock, I highly encourage that you use beef stock over beef broth. It adds so much more flavor than broth. Beef stock completes my life.


  • You can add whatever herbs you like to the beef stock, but I find that thyme, especially is lovely and adds a great flavor to my pot roast.


  • If you don't like mushy vegetables, add them in the last hour of cooking and they'll have a little more of a crisp to them.


  • A general rule is 1 hour per pound of roast. If you pick up a 5 lb. roast, plan on finding something to do for 5 hours while your pot roast works its magic!


  • Try not to peek in on your pot roast too often. I find that the less I peek in on it (and trust me, I'm an oven peeker) the better it is. I don't even turn on the oven light so I won't be tempted to peek! It'll come out so fabulous and wonderful if you don't peek on it.
  • 1 comment:

    1. My mom makes pot roast in the Crockpot, which is always awesome! I've found that helps keep it from getting too dry.

      Methinks I'll try your recipe next time, though!

      ReplyDelete

    Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::