Friday, October 3, 2008

Salisbury Steak


Okay, so one of my very first meals as a wife was Salisbury Steak. It did NOT turn out well. The patties fell apart and we basically had a lovely meat sauce/gravy. Not good. I haven't tried it since December/January because I felt like I didn't have the skills necessary to execute this dish without ruining it again. But while I was searching for some of my favorite comfort foods a few weeks ago, I saw this recipe featured on allrecipes.com and thought that it looked promising. It had mostly positive reviews and while the recipe as it was written didn't thrill me completely, I saw that others had made a few changes so I thought I'd try it myself and give it a formal review.

Overall this was a nice meal. Very comforting, very filling, and not too difficult. I'm proud that my patties didn't fall apart like last time! This is fairly easy to customize to your liking, and I plan on making a few more changes the next time I make this. The original recipe is here. Mine is below.

Salisbury Steak

1 lb. ground chuck
1 can condensed French Onion soup
1/3 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. beef stock
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a large bowl mix 1/3 can French Onion soup with ground chuck, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well, and shape into 4 patties. Brown patties well on both sides, turning once. Move to a lightly greased or foil-lined baking dish.

Gravy: In a small bowl, blend flour with remaining 2/3 can French Onion soup. Mix with beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, dry soup mix, and cream of mushroom soup. Mix together well, and heat to a simmer.

Pour approx. half the gravy over the patties and bake at 375 F. for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with extra gravy. Serves 4.

Notes:
  • Like I said, this was filling and not too difficult, but a little bland to me. Next time I'll add 1/2 tsp. pepper to add a little more spice to these.
  • I used Cream of Mushroom & Roasted Garlic, which was okay, but I think Cream of Mushroom would be fine too.
  • Speaking of garlic, next time I'll saute some garlic and onions and mix them in with the patties. I think that'd be much more effective.
  • After reading so many reviews on AR, I decided that you can do pretty much whatever you want in the dry soup department. I chose to go with Beefy Onion, but you could also do French Onion, or Onion & Mushroom.
  • I think there were too many flavors going on with this meal. Next time I think I'll use the French Onion soup with beef stock and add beef gravy and sliced mushrooms instead. I think a gravy with one or two standout flavors is much better.
  • I served this with rice and steamed broccoli, but the gravy would be wonderful with mashed potatoes as well.
  • My patties started to fall apart just a bit, which is why I suggest only turning them once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::