Saturday, November 29, 2008

Balsamic Chicken Wings

I've got a secret love affair with balsamic vinegar. I love everything about it. I love the slightly sweet smell that accompanies the regular vinegar taste, and I love the sweetness it lends to cooked meals. It's a miracle ingredient, I tell you!

Okay, maybe "miracle ingredient" is taking it a stretch too far, but dude, you've got to try these! They're so good. Definitely one of my favorite wing recipes. They're probably not football game fare, unless you've got football watchers who won't mind that there isn't any blue cheese dip or spicy hotness in these wings. They are, however, a great appetizer or complete meal.

[No picture because I forgot.]

Balsamic Chicken Wings

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
5 sprigs fresh rosemary
5 garlic cloves, halved
10 to 12 chicken wings/drummettes
2 T. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, rosemary sprigs, and garlic in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Shake and squeeze the contents of the bag to dissolve the honey and the brown sugar. Add the chicken wings to the bag and seal with as little air as possible. Place in the fridge and marinate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the chicken wings on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake until skin is caramelized and very dark in spots, approx. 30-35 minutes.

While the chicken is baking, boil the marinade in a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to a full boil to kill any bacteria. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook over a low heat until thick--approx. 15 minutes. Reserve marinade.

Use a basting or pastry brush to brush some of the cooked marinade on the cooked chicken wings. Place the chicken on a serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds and parsley before serving.

Notes:
  • Graham doesn't like rosemary, and unfortunately for him, I do. I usually make two batches: one with rosemary for me, and one with oregano or Italian seasoning for him. I prefer them with rosemary, but practically any "Italian" seasoning will work here.
  • Make sure you line your baking sheet with foil. The marinade burns easily and I can tell from personal experience that it is a PITA to clean off unlined baking sheets. PAM isn't gonna cut it here, folks! Line a cookie sheet with foil, shiny side down and you will be good to go in the clean up department.
  • I love marinating in plastic bags because it is so flippin' easy. But, if you find you don't have a plastic bag, pour the marinade into a bowl, add the chicken, mix well to coat the chicken, and cover it with a cloth towel before placing in the fridge.
  • I know I've mentioned it before, but this lovely li'l meal comes from Giada DiLaurentiis, my Girl Crush #2.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm - if you love balsamic as much as I do, you must make a stop at Old Town Oil & Vinegar on Wells St. (in Old Town)! It has some amazing oils & balsamics... you'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    When you make these wings with oregano, do you use fresh or dried and how much. Also with the italian seasoning how much do you use in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::