Thursday, November 20, 2008

Roast Beef with Coffee



Now, I know what you're thinking, but trust me on this!

If you know one think about me, it's probably this: COFFEE. Most people live by breathing oxygen, I survive by drinking coffee. Strong coffee. My mom calls it, "Hair on your chest coffee." I call it, "It's not morning unless I've had two cups of coffee followed by sufficient time to wake up before I start moving and speaking to people." I love coffee, and I'm "hardcore" according to some of my students because I drink my coffee black and not colored up with cream and sugar and other flavors. I was cruising for recipes online and literally stumbled across this one. No, I literally stumbled...I tripped over my laptop cord. ::facepalm:: I was intriguied, and I had to at least try it, right?

After reading some of the reviews I started to get nervous. A number of reviewers stated that after making the gravy they noticed a slightly burned aftertaste. I made some adjustments to the recipe based on the reviews, but overall I think it was a success.

Roast Beef with Coffee

4 lb. chuck roast
cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. prepared strong coffee
2 c. beef stock
Salt & pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Italian seasoning
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tsp. sugar

Season the meat with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Rub well into the roast.

Mix together beef stock and coffee. Stir in sugar. Place roast in slow cooker, and pour stock and coffee over roast. Dump onions and garlic into the slow cooker. Cover well with broth.

Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.

Notes:
  • Some reviewers suggested marinating in red wine vinegar overnight. I didn't, and this still fell apart once I pulled it out of the crockpot.
  • I made some slits in the roast and stuffed the garlic into the roast like the recipe stated, but I don't think it was necessary. I'd rather mash the garlic and toss it into the broth.
  • Next time, I'll up the coffee to 2 1/2 cups. I could barely taste it, and Graham couldn't taste it at all. I want a little bit of the coffee taste.
  • Some reviewers said the coffee "burned" in the slow cooker, but I never detected a burned taste. Adding a little sugar will cut down on the bitterness if you don't like coffee.
  • Depending on your tastes, you can season the roast with almost any spices or herbs.
  • I didn't make the gravy suggested in the original recipe. Instead I took a few tablespoons of drippings and mixed them with a packet of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix and some flour to make gravy. SO much easier that way!
  • I used a medium-strong roast coffee, but that's what we had in the house and that's what I drink. Using a stronger coffee (such as one made from Arabica beans) will give you a stronger coffee flavor. I would not suggest using instant coffee for this roast.

2 comments:

  1. May I use your photo (with proper credit, of course) on my blog to promote this post?

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::