Monday, November 17, 2008

Simple Taco Casserole


I found this on AllRecipes.com, and it's a great twist on the tired old casserole, and you don't have to use "Cream of __________" to bind it all together! The original recipe is found here. My adaptations are below.

Taco Casserole

1 lb. ground round
1 15 oz. jar salsa (spice level to your choosing)
1/2 cup mayo, salad dressing, or sour cream
1 envelope taco seasoning (spice level to your choosing)
2 c. crushed tortilla chips
1 c. shredded Colby cheese
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 c. shredded lettuce

Preheat oven to 350 F. Brown ground beef, drain off fat. Add taco seasoning to meat according to package directions.

Pour salsa, mayo/sour cream, crushed chips, and cheeses into a greased 2 wt. casserole. Add meat and mix well.

Bake uncovered at 350 F. for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Top with lettuce and tomato before serving. Serves 6.

Notes:
  • I think this would taste phenomenal if dopped with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole before serving. I loooooooooove guacamole!
  • I also served this with extra restaurant-style tortilla chips. It's almost like a giant taco dip.
  • Next time, I think I'll make this with brown rice. I think it might be easiest to make the rice as usual and then mix it in with the other ingredients when I add the chips, mayo, and cheese.
  • The crushed taco chips don't get overly soft while baking, if you had any concerns. If you're still skeptical, just leave them out and use them to top the casserole before you pop it in the oven, or just before serving.
  • You can add almost any taco topping to this casserole. It tastes exactly like a taco, and it's so simple to throw together.
  • What's awesome about this is that you can spice it up as much or as little as you want. I used mild salsa and taco seasoning and it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::