Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sugar Cookie Success!

I've been making this recipe for quite some time. Before we got married, Graham liked to say that I wasn't "marriable, until I learned to bake." Ha ha, dear. Ha ha. Anywho, I've been making these cookies for years, and never had any problems until yesterday. For some reason, the dough just didn't set or firm up, and I ended up with icky gooey cookie mess. Yuck. It was such a disappointment; I'd been looking forward to cookies all day!

I gave them another shot today, and to my relief they were a success. I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I added the confectioner's sugar, so I like to say this recipe is mine. So there.

Sugar Cookies

1 c. white sugar
3/4 c. butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Combine sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl and beat until creamy. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into butter mixture. Blend well. Place dough in a bowl. Divide the dough into two balls, cover the bowl, and chill in the refridgerator for 1 to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Take one ball of dough at a time, and roll out to 1/4 in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Dip cookie cutters in flour before cutting to prevent sticking. Place cookies approx. 1 inch apart on a lightly greased or lined cookie sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheets before moving to cooling rack. Cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.

Notes:
  • As with all sugar cookies, these can be iced and decorated however you wish.
  • Have some extra flour on hand. After talking to someone more experienced in the ways of the kitchen, I think it's possible that I didn't add enough flour to the dough before separating them and placing them in the fridge. Have extra flour off to the side, and add in 1/4 c. at a time until the dough is thick and creamy and not runny.
  • It's important to not let the cookies get too browned on top! A little brown on the edges is a good indicator of doneness, but too much will burn your cookies.

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::