Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Teryaki-Sesame Chicken

A few years ago, I stole an enormous pile of recipe cards from my mom. Many of them are from the 1970s or 1980s and are just a bit kitschy. I love that so many of them are recipes for fried foods. A week ago, I was strapped for dinner ideas and went poking through my box of old recipe cards. This looked promising, and it can't hurt to give it a whirl, right?

I liked this okay, and Graham really liked it. I think it was just too much of one flavor for me, but it's not bad for quick meals on weeknights. I'm keeping it filed away under "last minute meal ideas" or for busy nights when we don't have time to make a complete meal.

Teryaki-Sesame Chicken

4 chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt
Pepper
1/2 c. green onions, chopped
1 c. teryaki sauce
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 375 F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix teryaki sauce with garlic and green onions. Place chicken in bowl and cover with teryaki sauce. Cover and marinate for one hour

Mix sesame seeds and walnuts. Set aside.

Place chicken in lightly greased baking dish. Pour some marinade over and around chicken.

Bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Sprinkle chicken with sesame-walnut mix. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Serve with white or brown rice.

Notes:
  • I felt like this was too mono-flavored. WAY too much teryaki flavor. A milder marinade would make this a little more palatable.
  • I think these would come out awesome on the grill! I like that I can pop this in the oven and forget about it for 10 minutes, but grilling it would be fantastic.
  • I liked the crunch of the walnuts and sesame seeds, especially once they got nice and crispy after sitting in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::