Thursday, November 27, 2008

Whiskey Glazed Carrots



Mmmm Mmmmm Good! Oh me, oh my, these are delightful. This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman, and let me say again: THESE ARE SO GOOD. I was honestly surprised by how delicious they tasted and that you can't truly taste the whiskey. They're so easy, too. When I asked my aunt what I could bring to Thanksgiving and she said, "Oh, absolutely anything!" I was disappointed that she wasn't more specific, but then I thought, "Well....this is a great excuse to buy whiskey!" These will be a great addition to any holiday table, or any night when you feel like using that bottle of Jack Daniels that's been sitting around for too long.

Whiskey Glazed Carrots
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

5 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into thick circles
2 sticks butter, softened
1 c. Jack Daniels (any whiskey will work just fine, but Jack and I are old friends)
2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper

Melt 2 T. butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add carrots in two batches, cooking for 2 minutes each. Remove to a platter.

Remove skillet from flame, and pour in whiskey. Allow alcohol to evaporate, approx. 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining butter. When butter has melted, add brown sugar to skillet. Stir together and mix well. Return carrots to skillet. Cover and cook for 5 min.

Remove lid and add salt and pepper. Continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze is thick, 5-6 minutes. Pour onto a serving platter and serve hot.

Notes:
  • This is my variation on the recipe. I actually doubled the recipe because I have a large family and it's good to have plenty to serve up on an over indulgent holiday like Thanksgiving.
  • I found that 1 tsp. salt was necessary to cover the carrots, but if you use 3 lbs, you probably only need 1/2 tsp.
  • The first step is entirely optional, and you can start by getting your skillet nice and hot and adding the whiskey straightaway. However, I think that the blackish surface area you'll get makes for great presentation.
  • Also, if you're using a stainless steel or cast iron skillet, you can leave the carrots in for about 60 seconds. I used my non-stick cookware and I've found I need to extend the initial cooking time if I want the crispy looking surface area.
  • The glaze will thicken as the carrots sit, do don't fret it your glaze doesn't seem thick right after you remove it from the skillet.
  • I made this the night before Thanksgiving and reheated it in my aunt's oven before dinner. 15 minutes at 350 and it was piping hot and delicious!

3 comments:

  1. My kids don't like carrot, but I will certainly try your recipe for them, hope they will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think this recipe would work with bourbon? I had to buy a bottle of bourbon for a couple Thanksgiving recipes and I need to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good- I'll have to try it for sure. Lisa, I've used bourbon in place of whiskey in several recipes (and shots- ha) and I think it would be an ok subsititute here....whatcha think Angie?

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::