Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cake Review: Our 1st Anniversary


Goodbye year-old cake, hello freezer space! To wrap up our first married year, we FINALLY broke into the wedding cake top that's been sitting in our freezer since December 16th, 2007. This thing was huge; it literally took up a quarter of our freezer space. After we passed the 6 month mark, I started looking toward our anniversary and dreaming of the extra space I'd have. Extra space for a whole chicken....frozen stews and casseroles.....frozen desserts....oh, the possibilities!

But who am I kidding? We have an average sized-freezer, not a cave. Someday I'll have a chest freezer in my basement (or wherever) and I'll be able to store and stock up and keep things like year-old cake away from my "right now" space.

Overall it was surprisingly good. The cake was a tad dry, but I expected much worse after a year. The frosting was a little greasy, but I don't remember liking it at our wedding reception. The strawberry filling was great! It froze and thawed really well. I think the key to savoring year-old cake is to make sure it's really well-wrapped to begin with. If it's not well-wrapped, fuggedaboutid! Get yourself a cheap cake from Pepperidge Farms instead.

At our wedding, we got plenty of compliments about the cake. Everyone really liked it. I didn't care for the frosting, but I don't like frosting that's too sugary or rich. The strawberry filling, as I said, was great then and great yesterday. I'm glad we were able to continue with the tradition, but if you're a bride-to-be (ahem, Robyn!) and you're not sure if you'll want a cake top for your first anniversary, save yourself some trouble and save half of the top or a piece. The cake top was huge and way too much for us to finish. Save yourself a slice, wrap it well, and stash it in the freezer until it's 1:30 a.m. on your anniversary and you say, "CRAP! I never did take the cake out of the freezer!"

4 comments:

  1. Glad your cake fared okay! Happy (belated) Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I can only hope that on mine, our cake will turn out good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear the your cake survived a year in the freezer! I was disappointed in ours after a year - too dry for my taste. I like my cakes moist.

    Do you & Graham like Southern/Cajun food? I have an awesome chicken creole recipe my mom gave me that I can send your way if you'd like. Let me know if you'd like me to pass it along to you. I know you don't need it right away, since you're going on to a nicer climate soon. (Lucky Ducks!) Just let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::