Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chicken in White Wine Sauce


I made this a few months ago and really liked it, but felt there were more possibilities. It's really good and perfect for impressing your guests and making them feel warm and cozy on cold nights. I think I made some good modifications for next time, as well as those with picky palates (like my husband).

Chicken Braised in White Wine
(courtesy Williams-Sonoma and Good Things Catered)

1/3 c. all-purpose flour plus 2 Tbsp, divided
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 chicken pieces pieces (I used breast, thighs and leg pieces)
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
8 oz white button mushrooms, quartered
3 c. white wine
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 lb. red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine 1/3 c. flour, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat evenly.

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil to almost smoking. Add half of the chicken and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Brown the remaining chicken and transfer to the plate.

Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, to reduce, about 5 minutes. -Return the chicken to the pan and add the garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and potatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven.

Cook until the chicken is very tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf and place chicken, potatoes and mushrooms.

Place Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add flour and whisk to combine, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour thickened braising sauce over chicken and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Notes:
  • I used 3 cups of white wine. :-) BUT, if you don't like wine or don't have enough laying around or whatever, you can sub chicken stock in its place. Don't use broth, use stock. Chicken stock has more flavor and body than broth and will really help season the chicken.
  • Be sure to submerge your herbs and bay leaf in the wine or stock so they can really work their magic.
  • I chose to season the chicken before I rolled it in the flour, and I'm glad I did. The chicken was moist and seasoned perfectly.
  • I only had sliced mushrooms, so I used those, and I really liked how they worked with the chicken and wine. White button mushrooms are a little meatier when quartered, but the presentation looked a little better with the sliced, in my opinion.
  • I prefer the onion chunked and not sliced. Just because.
  • This is AWESOME with fresh rosemary. It's all I had on hand when making it the last time, and wow! The rosemary really pops and shines here.

2 comments:

  1. yum! This looks so good. I love anything with chicken and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum.... looks delicious as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::