Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chili


It figures that when I get a craving for chili, a warm front blows through Chicago. Don't get me wrong...I hate winter, so I'm not complaining about the "warmth" we're experiencing this weekend, but there's nothing that beats a warm bowl of chili on a really cold night.

This is a milder, more "intestinal friendly" chili. Graham doesn't like anything that's too spicy and this chili is perfect for both of us. It's got just the right amount of kick for Graham and it satisfies my craving for warm, delicious, chili-fied goodness.

Chili
(Adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker)
2 lbs ground beef
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)
2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans (with liquid)
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 T. chili powder
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. water
Shredded cheese

Brown ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Drain off the fat.

Add all the remaining ingredients, mix well. Bring to a simmer over low heat.

Cook, stirring every 15-20 minutes, for 3-4 hours. Serve in individual bowls and top with shredded cheese.

Notes:
  • This smells so good when it's simmering. I strongly suggest that you cook it for 4 hours. It's a long time, but the end result is so worth it.
  • 1.5 cups of water sounds like a lot, but it's going to reduce down as it cooks and become nice and the chili will become nice and thick. The chili will probably reduce by half.
  • I served this with buttermilk biscuts. I know cornbread is traditional, but I've never eaten chili with cornbread. I'm weird like that.
  • This isn't a sweet chili, but it's not spicy, either. It's definitely some great comfort food for the fall and winter months.

2 comments:

  1. I need a bowl of chili... it's way too cold out! Looks awesome... as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "tummy friendly" chili recipe. I'm not a big fan of spicy food, so I can appreciate this!

    It's definitely chili weather now. We're barely above O°F today!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::