Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken


I got this recipe from my cousin Katie, who got it from...somewhere else. I really liked this. It was a little sweet and a little spicy and so easy to throw together. It was another excuse to use my crockpot, and I love that thing. It makes life so easy. Thanks for the recipe, Katie! We loved it!

This was super easy and it's practically meant for modifications. The original recipe is here, below is my own. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooked-Italian-Chicken

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
1 can tomato sauce (10 oz.)
1 medium green pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
cooked pasta

In crockpot, combine stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, green onions, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, chili powder, and pepper. Mix well.

Add chicken, and coat with tomato mixture. Cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. (or until chicken reaches 170 F.) Serve over cooked pasta.

Notes:
  • I served this over tri-colored rigatoni. I bought a box of it on a whim about a month ago and they were the perfect addition to this meal. I liked the additional color the pasta added to the meal.
  • The addition of some freshly chopped parsley and/or basil would be great and an awesome touch of freshness.
  • I loved that this was sweet and spicy. The tomatoes and chili powder work well together.
  • You can use any kind of tomatoes here....crushed, stewed, diced, whole...whatever your purty little heart desires. A combination of tomatoes would be great, too.
  • The chicken gets so tender and moist. Our chicken was done after about 3.5 hours, so definitely check on it at 4 hours. If it's over-exposed it'll dry out.

1 comment:

  1. I need to bust out my crockpot and use it more often... this looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::