Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beef Brisket in Ale


I couldn't wait to get started using some of my brand new toys from Christmas. I almost brought some of my new cookbooks on our vacation with me so I could menu plan on the beach.

I found this recipe in the book I got from my in-laws: Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes EVER!! (I added the 'EVER'). There are tons of good ideas inside and I'm really looking forward to a year of new appetizers, desserts, and dinners. I decided to use my slow cooker today because it was my first day back at work after a long break and I knew that I wouldn't have the energy to throw dinner together. It was a great decision, because I came home to dinner that was almost done cooking and I was able to tackle the pre-dinner dishes, and that left just a handful of work to do post-dinner.

We liked this because it was relatively simple to throw together, it has a nice savory quality to it, and it's got some great spicy undertones. I served it with mashed potatoes.

Beef Brisket in Ale

1 3-4 lb. beef brisket
2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 bay leaf
1 12 oz. can of beer
1/4 c. chili sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. cold water

Trim fat from brisket and cut to fit into slow cooker if necessary. Place onions, bay leaf, and brisket into slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, combine beer, chili sauce, sigar, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Poor over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours (or high for 5-6).

When brisket is cooked, transfer brisket and onions to a platter and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.

To make gravy, skim the fat off the cooking liquid.Measure 2 1/2 c. of the liquid and discard any remaining juices. In a saucepan, stir together the cornstarch and water, and stir in the cooking juices.ook and stir until thick and bubbling. Serve over brisket.



Notes:


  • This takes about 20 minutes to prep including trimming the fat off the brisket. Make sure it's not frozen solid when you trim the fat so it's a little easier to handle.


  • According to the cookbook this makes 10 servings. Either we're fatties or we were really hungry, because there wasn't a lot leftover. If you want to make this to serve a larger crowd, get yourself a larger roast or 2 roasts in 2 crockpots.


  • Keep in mind: the roast will shink substantially when in the crockpot. When I put ours in it barely fit and Graham said, "No way will we finish all that." When I took it out for dinner, he was really surprised by how much the brisket shrunk.


  • The gravy didn't wow me, and if you're not into making your own gravy, you can easily whip up some gravy in a pouch. I know that's taboo among some, but on days like today I just don't care.


  • It was just spicy enough for us but we're spice wimps compared to most people. You can definitely kick it up by adding more chili powder, red pepper flakes, mustard powder, and spicy chili sauce.

    • 1 comment:

      1. This looks so deliciously hearty and perfect for this freezing weather!

        ReplyDelete

      Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::