Thursday, January 29, 2009

Braised Chicken with Dried Plums


Funny story: when I was a child, I used to think that 'braised' was a disgusting sounding word. I thought that anything braised couldn't possibly be delicious. I'm so glad I was wrong.

This recipe was adapted from the September 2008 issue of Everyday Food. I didn't like it was it was written, so I changed some things around to make it a better fit for us. Unfortunately for me, Graham wasn't wild about this. He liked the chicken, just not the sauce or plums. Oh well. I really liked this, but I guess I just have to save it for a hubbyless occassion.

Braised Chicken with Dried Plums

2 T. olive oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs
1 medium onion, diced
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 c. dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
1 c. pitted, dried plums
1. tsp. dried thyme or two sprigs fresh
Salt and pepper, to taste

Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on each side, 4 minutes per side. Remove to a platter.

Add onion to pot and seasin with salt and pepper. Add thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown, approx. 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat, add wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Add flour, mix well. Return chicken to the pot, along with any accumulated juices.

Cover and cook 10 minutes. Add dried plums, stir, and cover. Cook 5-10 more minutes or until juices run clear.

Notes:
  • If plums don't make your skirt fly up, you can sub almost any dried fruit. This would be really good with some dried apricots.
  • I prefer a Sauvingnon-Blanc, but any good dry white wine is perfect. If cooking something in wine makes your stomach turn, you can sub chicken broth instead, but add herbs to taste.
  • I served this with a really simple rice pilaf. Recipe to follow.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought of cooking with dried plums! Sorry that Graham didn't like it as much. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win some, you lose some, I guess! Oh well. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::